Tuesday 11 January 2011

Maw Broon's Kitchen Notebook

Following on from my recent lack of success with Macaroon bars, I now have the wise words of Maw Broon to guide me through some Scottish recipes through Maw Broon's Kitchen Notebook! I got this as a Christmas gift from my parents who must want me to remain true to my Scottish (if not culinary) roots through learning how to cook up tattie scones and shortbread, now that I'm in London.



This differs from other recipe books in that it is written in character, as though it really were a jotter compiled by Maw Broon from cuttings from the newspaper, cookery magazines and her own family recipes and tips. It also contains images from The Broons books and in character scribblings from other members of the family relating to the recipes.

More of an introduction to basic cookery than a true recipe book, it covers everything from boiling an egg, using up leftover potatoes and making soup to baking a simple cake and planning a party. While some of the main courses are a little lacklustre (pot roasted beef) and the vegetarian recipes particularly lacking in imagination (vegetable stew or casserole), this book really comes into its own when it comes to what Scotland does best - sweets and puddings!

All of the sweet recipes sound delicious and are surprisingly simple. I will definitely be dabbling in some tablet making and whipping up some easy shortbread on a rainy Sunday afternoon! For the more adventurous there are peppermint creams, carrot cake and some yummy jams to get your teeth into after some summer berry picking.

So, all in all a charming book with a good sense of humour and plenty of easy recipes, particularly if you have a sweet tooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment